Friday, October 22, 2004

I'm in French II class right now. Gonna pass time by babbling. I'm applying the 80%-20% rule to this course very well. I'm like some kind of an idiot savant when it comes to French- I know just enough to average A+ on exams, and not much else.

When I was taking French I five years ago, I was a motivated learner. I thought it'd be cool if I knew like 5 languages. Hell, I was learning German on my own. But when I visited Europe for the first time, fucking everyone spoke English. I lost motivation since.

Before I left for Europe, I had memorized this phrase "Do you speak English?" in several languages. Let's see if I can remember:

In French, "Parlez-vous anglais?"
In German, "Sie sprechen Englisch?"
I forgot how to say it in Italian but I remember the word for English was "Ingeles" or sumthin.

And everyone nodded to that and we spoke English from there. The only exception was a janitor in a German train station.

The class's over already? I should do this more often :)