Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Last Friday, Maryland School for the Deaf's football team played a hearing team on MSSD's field. Normally I wouldn't give a bleep about a high school football game but I heard MSD has a pretty good team. Here's the scores of all their games so far: 89-0, 37-0, 58-6, 61-0, 74-0 and last Friday, 49-0.

I watched the game only until halftime. MSD was already leading 43-0. As I was leaving the field, I walked by the opponents, mostly well-built inner city kids, as they were having their halftime meeting. They seemed deeply dazed, as if they were thinking, "WTF? We're getting blown out by a bunch of handicapped white kids?"

Like Coach Andy Bonheyo or not, you have to say he's a football genius. Everywhere he goes, he wins. I root for his teams because they explemify what the deaf can do.

One ceveat: MSD has a fairly easy schedule. There's talk of them moving up to a higher division. They should do it. There're only so many 77-0 games a coach could take before dying of boredom.