Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Deaf education right now is doomed to Catch-22. To have enough deaf teachers for deaf kids, almost all of the lucky few who have beaten the obstacle of having broken eardrums would have to teach. But if they did, deaf education would be just a self-perpetuating cycle, contributing nothing to the world at large.

What if there's a program in which deaf college grads dedicate the first 2 years of post-college life to deaf education before moving on to plum jobs? Much like Peace Corp for the deaf America. Within a given 2 year span, let's say there are 600 deaf graduates from Gallaudet, RIT, CSUN and ASU. 600 deaf teachers nationwide—not bad. Of course, realistically, not all of them would be willing or even be suited for teaching at all. Mere 200 still would be about 5-10 times the rate those schools typically churn out.

You don't need a degree in education to teach well. I speak from experience. When I was a sub teacher, I didn't receive training yet many Kendall students said I was better at teaching them than their regular teachers. I felt like I could teach them anything. It isn't because I was so great. It's because I could communicate with them. Plus they probably find young deaf adults infinitely more intriguing than hearing old farts.

I still think the single best strategy to improve deaf people's literacy is to broadcast a national public service TV commercial that would educate hearies how to raise deaf kids. Have high expectations, communicate visually, read to them, and all that shit.