Monday, January 10, 2005

Amusing discovery I made recently #37

I knew my grandpa was a journalist, teacher and had a music band (early 1950s style, guys wearing suits and ties, at least one playing a saxophone, get the picture?). But I just found out he was also an orchestrator for almost 20 years. Cracked me up. He was so old and dignified all my life so it was hard to picture him waving that stick in fervor.



Not hard to figure out who's who. I was 10.

My grandparents were also missionaries in Iran for 2 years. Above the fireplace at their house was a bunch of beautiful swords and ivory sculptures and I wondered how they got them, until I found out. Lovely people, the most stable people I know. My grandma was a good humored redhead (some of her genes made it to me- If I grew a beard, it'd be reddish, serious) and a GREAT cook. They were married for 70 years before Grandpa passed away. Grandma followed a few years later. My dad said one thing he appreciated about them was that they never showed favoritism to any of their children or grandchildren.

What did your grannies do?