Saturday, January 01, 2005

The birth of year 2005 was anticlimatic. I was in a party in MD, watching the countdown on TV with the crowd. It was ticking down to about 30 seconds when it went dark. The power was out. Y2k was 5 years late? When the power finally went back on about a couple of minutes later, everyone was like "Oh rightttt, happy new year!"

Got to see Tayler and Debbie there. Tayler seemed even more excitable, if that's possible. Debbie's in law school at UCLA and she said when she heard people talking about how hard law school was, she thought it was just talk, but turned out it IS hard. Plus, she feels a bit out of place among her classmates because almost all of them were Ivy league alums- Harvard, Yale, Princeton, etc. When she told them she graduated from RIT and Gallaudet, they asked her what they were. She had to squirm as she said "Rochester...Institute...of...Technology." And they'd never heard of Gallaudet either, I think. But if she's the only non-Ivy alum in the class, it's an impressive accomplishment anyway.

When I wasn't working or running some errands, I spent most of my time vegging out in my house. Getting to know myself better. Just kidding. Today, I finally got sick of it and roamed in DC. I used to do that a lot before I returned to school last Jan. and missed it. Reminded once again how great DC is. It's like several towns in one big city. I like to cruise around in far NW where the nature, the hills, the tall trees, the river merge with the city.

Took a leisurely stroll in Georgetown. One cool thing about window-shopping by yourself, there's nobody to hurry you up or slow you down. Went to Whole Food. Only about my 5th time there but I resolute to eat healthier, and it's easier to do that if you shop at an organic-type food store, no? Drove back, idly realized that could be the road Michael Jordan regularly treaded on the way to MCI Center during his diasterous stint with the Wizards- he lived in a condo in GT. Zoomed by the old convention center. It's being demolished. Yeah, Deaf Way 2's legendary nightclub's GONE.

Here I am, home. Absolutely, from now to on, my every free day, I'm gonna storm the town until my friends come back. Next target: Smithsonian museums. Been forever since I went there. Clap clap.