Saturday, August 20, 2005

Last night, I chatted with a guy from KY who worked at Aspen deaf camp during the summer. He said kids from rich families went there and he was stunned by how they were jaded and savvy beyond their years.

That reminded me of a kid at KDES when I was subbing. She was a Korean, in 6th or 7th grade. A rich family from VA (The Martins) adopted her. Turned out Josh, the KY boy, somehow knew the family and said they owned a part of the Cincinnati Reds (?!). Anyway, the Martins had about 30 kids at a time and bought an entire floor of a high-rise Condo building as their home.

There were lots of "siblings" that were older than that girl and they didn't hestitate to introduce her to the world of debauchery. In one class, she piped up to me about partying with her brothers, getting hammered on shots of vodka and puffing the magic dragon. She was a coupla years away from HS. Moments like this make me feel like I grew up in the 1950s.

Josh said, "Now I know how my parents felt when bringing me up."

At this rate, our grandkids'll be hiding pipes by the time they're 18 months old.