Friday, April 15, 2005

When I was eating out with my family in PA (we were there for my great aunt's funeral), my aunt kiddingly asked me if I was gone to Rochester to see a woman. In the corner of my eye I saw my dad saying, "Maybe a boy."

I turned to him and said, "What?"

"Nothing."

I looked at him funny. He's not the furtive type- he's pretty much in your face. But I had 2 hours of sleep during the last night in Rochy, joined a carpool whose driver strayed off I-15 and took 9 hours to get back to DC, arriving there at 3 am, then I had to drive to my parents' house in MD, conked out at 4, woke up at 7, drove 5 hours to Rochy, PA. In other words, I was too tired to give a shit.

Well, a couple of days later I was cleaning the backseat of my car and spotted an edition of "Washington Blade."

And everything clicked.

For those who've never lived in DC, Blade's a gay tabloid newspaper freely distributed all over the city. My dad and I used my car to drive to PA and he put some stuff in the backseat, thus making an incidental discovery inevitable.

Ironically, heterosexuality was what gotten it there in the first place. I was out with a girl one night. It was raining and a long way to my car so we went into some place. It didn't look it'd stop anytime soon so she blindly grabbed a copy out of a stack of Blade and used it to cover her head while we walked to my car.

Last night, I asked Dad if he indeed saw the copy. He smiled sheepishly and nodded, probably thinking, "Oh God, is this where he comes out of the closet?" I chuckled and told him what happened. He seemed to believe me.