Thursday, February 02, 2006

One of the courses I'm taking is psycholinguistics. Interesting so far. ASL (any sign language really) is far from being the only language with a very flexible word order in grammar. In English, the word order mostly determines the meaning of a sentence (i.e. a python swallows a teacup chihuahua vs. a teacup chihuahua swallows a python). But in many languages, Russian for example, the word order doesn't matter. How words end (affixes) does. In that sense, ASL is more similar to them than English.

Looking at ASL from lingustic perspective makes me respect it more. It has many unique features that aren't possible for spoken languages, like being able to convey more than one concept or action simultaneously.

Taking a scuba class. I've heard enough about it from friends to decide it's worthwhile. It's been fun. The hardest part so far is learning to swim with flippers. Normally when I swim, I thrust my legs. I don't "flutter". I've never fluttered in my life. I like the feeling of propelling myself with powerful kicks. That habit's gonna die hard.

I. King Jordan's the instructor's assistant. More on that later.