Monday, November 07, 2005

Saw this away message:

"Procrastination is like masturbation. At first, it feels good but in the end you're only screwing yourself."

There was a town hall meeting on campus to discuss what had happened recently. I didn't go but a friend filled me in. Provost turned off a lot of students by bitching at everyone, when only a small number of students were guilty. A few friends and I talked about it.

Maybe it's because I'm jaded with Gally, with a foot out of the door, but my reaction had been mostly 'zzzz'. But Provost's ranting hit a nerve.

-I'm sick of hearing bad behavior being associated with deafness. People knock down goal posts everywhere. Parties get out of control everywhere. Neighbors complain about parties everywhere, and so forth. Black people say one of the worst things about being black is not being seen as unique individuals. I think it's the same thing for deaf people. A few members behave badly and we have to be embarrassed?

-The administration should take SOME of the blame for the Hyatt fiasco. I mean, c'mon. Drunken froshies and a 5-star hotel? ANYWHERE, the same thing would happen. Unlike SBG, they're old enough to see that coming and didn't lift a finger. The same goes for the Hyatt folks—they knew what goes with college students.

-The basic reason for DPS and the police trying so hard to prevent students from taking down the goal posts was safety (you know the story, a U. of Minn. student got killed, blah blah), not destruction of property since they'd be replaced soon anyway. Quite a few students got hurt, all right. By the police, the very people "concerned" about safety.

Off I go.